Dr Norman Ma is a neurosurgeon with specialist skills in the surgical treatment of both adult and paediatric brain and spine.
Born in Hong Kong before growing up in New Zealand, Dr Ma completed his undergraduate medical degree at the University of Auckland. He completed his advance neurosurgery training having worked in Brisbane, Melbourne, Auckland and Christchurch.
On completion of his neurosurgical training, he undertook two further post-graduate fellowships in paediatric and functional neurosurgery. He completed the paediatric neurosurgical fellowship at the Mater Children’s Hospital before undertaking a prestigious functional fellowship in movement disorders and pain at Southmead Hospital, Bristol, United Kingdom.
Dr Ma now works as a neurosurgical consultant specialist at Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital. He also works as a specialist paediatric neurosurgeon at the Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital as a Visiting Medical Officer.
He has a special interest in research and teaching, working closely with the University of Queensland and is currently completing a Masters in Philosophy in neonatal research at the University of Queensland Centre for Clinical Research.
His neurosurgical practice covers a broad range of both adult and paediatric neurosurgery with particular subspecialty interest in:
- Cranial Surgery
- Functional neurosurgery- particularly movement disorders
- Pain Surgery
- Paediatric neurosurgery
- Endoscopic neurosurgery
- Spinal surgery
- Fellowship Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Neurosurgical Society of Australia (NSA)
- Asian-australasian Society of Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery (AASSFN)
- Pain Medicine Section at the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons.
- Cooperative Trials Group for Neuro-Oncology (COGNO).
- Australasian Neuroscience Society (ANS)
- Australasian Doctors Association (AADA)